Feb 7 2013, 12:51pm CST | by Luigi Lugmayr
Moscow, Feb 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia's budget watchdog has found nearly $4 billion was lost in financial violations in the country's defence spending for 2012.
The Russian Audit Chamber identified waste and misappropriation totalling almost 117.5 billion rubles -- just over $3.9 billion -- in the area of national defence, said Viktor Zavarzin, first deputy head of the State Duma's Defense Committee.
This was disclosed after a meeting attended by officials from the defence and finance ministries, the Prosecutor General's Office and other agencies.
The defence ministry has been plagued by corruption scandals over the past year.
And last month, Russian police said they had uncovered the embezzlement of some $17 million by the country's Strategic Missile Forces dating back to 2008.
A significant portion of the 2012 violations, estimated at nearly 70.4 billion rubles (about $2.3 billion), had to do with over-spending on state contracts despite established thresholds, Zavarzin said.
He added that "unauthorised and ineffective expenditure of budget funds equalled, respectively, 10.6 million rubles and 23,173,000 rubles", and that 114 million rubles had been reimbursed to the government.
Defense Committee member Alexander Tarnayev blamed part of this misspending on outsourcing for services like food and laundry.
He suggested that one way to save money "when forming the federal budget for 2013 and the 2014-2015 planning period" would be to monitor state contracts more closely to ensure contractors and sub-contractors are not over-charging.
Tarnayev cited 2012 spending on food for servicemen as an example.
He said the difference between the total contracts signed by the defence ministry with the Voyentorg company, meant to provide this service, and the contracts signed by Voyentorg with its relevant sub-contractors may be as high as 672.7 million rubles, or over $22 million, based on the Audit Chamber's findings.
Luigi is the founding Chief Editor of I4U News and brings over 15 years experience in the technology field to the ever evolving and exciting world of gadgets. He started I4U News back in 2000 and evolved it into vibrant technology magazine.
Luigi can be contacted directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Luigi posts regularly on LuigiMe.com about his experience running I4U.
blog comments powered by Disqus