360° Coverage : Colombia's rebels ready to release three captives

Colombia's rebels ready to release three captives

Bogota, Feb 12 (IANS) The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrilla group hs announced the imminent release of two police officers and a soldier captured in January.

Feb 12 2013, 1:26am CST | by

Colombia's rebels ready to release three captives
Photo Credit: RAUL ARBOLEDA, Getty Images

Bogota, Feb 12 — The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrilla group hs announced the imminent release of two police officers and a soldier captured in January.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said the FARC was waiting for the Colombian government to "promote as soon as possible" the conditions for the release, reported Xinhua.

Cited by Colombian daily El Tiempo, FARC leader Rodrigo Granda confirmed that the release process has already begun.

The release "is going forward and it is certain that in the coming hours or days there will be news about it", said Granda.

Policemen Cristian Yate and Victor Gonzalez, together with soldier Josue Meneses, have been held by the FARC since January, when they were captured in military operations in combat zones.

Granda insisted their capture "is not a kidnapping. What we have are prisoners of war held by the FARC, who fell during a military operation in a war zone".

The FARC leader also said the rebels were ready to release them, but "we are waiting for the ICRC and Colombians for Peace to be present".

Granda said they have already selected the site of the release and are just waiting for the ICRC and government to coordinate so as not to endanger the life of the policemen and soldier, or the people who will take part in the release process.

Colombia's Deputy Defense Minister Jorge Enrique Bedoya said Monday the release protocols have been agreed.

"It's simple, if the FARC wants to release the 'kidnapped' officers, they only have to say when and where. We only have to know where to cease military operations so the release operation can take place," he said.

IANS

Source: IANS

 
 
 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/8" rel="author">Luigi Lugmayr</a>
Luigi is the founding Chief Editor of I4U News and brings over 15 years experience in the technology field to the ever evolving and exciting world of gadgets. He started I4U News back in 2000 and evolved it into vibrant technology magazine.
Luigi can be contacted directly at ml@i4u.com. Luigi posts regularly on LuigiMe.com about his experience running I4U.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Hillary Clinton Run for President goes Viral beating SNL's Version
Hillary Clinton Run for President goes Viral beating SNL's Version
Hillary Clinton's Getting Started video released yesterday went viral with 2 million views within less than 24 hours. The SNL parody of Hillary Clinton's announcement to run for 2016 Election reached 1 million views so far.
 
 
Hillary Clinton Run for President goes Viral beating SNL's Version
Hillary Clinton Run for President goes Viral beating SNL's Version
Hillary Clinton's Getting Started video released yesterday went viral with 2 million views within less than 24 hours. The SNL parody of Hillary Clinton's announcement to run for 2016 Election reached 1 million views so far.
 
 
Tsarnaev Guilty of all 30 Counts
Tsarnaev Guilty of all 30 Counts
The "Boston Bomber" has been found guilty by a federal jury.
 
 
Russia Likely Hacked White House in 2014
Russia Likely Hacked White House in 2014
A security breach in the White House computer system is believed to have given an unidentified group of Russian hackers access to sensitive information about President Barack Obama, CNN reported Wednesday. The report...