360° Coverage : Nasheed trial's cancelled, Indian delegation reaches Male

1 Updates
Nasheed trial's cancelled, Indian delegation reaches Male
Photo Credit: ISHARA S.KODIKARA, Getty Images

Nasheed trial's cancelled, Indian delegation reaches Male

Feb 20 2013, 11:08am CST | by

Male/New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) A court in Male Wednesday cancelled the trial hearing of former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed after police were unable to present him to judicial authorities due to his presence in the Indian High Commission since Feb 13.

Male/New Delhi, Feb 20 — A court in Male Wednesday cancelled the trial hearing of former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed after police were unable to present him to judicial authorities due to his...

Filed under: news

YouTube Videos

 
 
 

1 year ago

Nasheed trial's cancelled, Indian delegation reaches Male

Feb 20 2013, 11:08am CST | by

Male/New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) A court in Male Wednesday cancelled the trial hearing of former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed after police were unable to present him to judicial authorities due to his presence in the Indian High Commission since Feb 13.

Male/New Delhi, Feb 20 — A court in Male Wednesday cancelled the trial hearing of former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed after police were unable to present him to judicial authorities due to his presence in the Indian High Commission since Feb 13.

A high-level delegation of the Indian ministry of external affairs flew to Male to "engage with all stakeholders" over the growing political crisis.

A Maldivian court earlier this week issued a second arrest warrant against Nasheed, who has been staying in the Indian High Commission.

The four-member Indian delegation, headed by Harsh Vardhan Shringla, joint secretary in-charge of the Maldives, went to Male to "basically engage with all the stakeholders and understand the situation and all the issues involved", a source told IANS.

Nasheed's trial hearing, scheduled for 4 p.m., was cancelled by the Hulhumale' Magistrate Court after police failed to present him.

On Monday, the court issued a second warrant requesting police to present Nasheed on charges of illegally detaining Chief Criminal Court Judge Abdulla Mohamed during his final days in office.

Nasheed's Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) considers the charges politically motivated and designed to disqualify him from politics.

The former president's court hearing was cancelled after police said he could not be arrested while he was inside the Indian High Commission, Minivan News reported.

"Police have said they won't be able to bring Nasheed to Hulhumale' Magistrate Court and so the hearing has been cancelled. A new hearing is yet to be scheduled by the court," an official said.

MDP has said Nasheed would remain inside the Indian High Commission till an interim government is established ahead of the presidential polls in September.

Police cordoned off the street outside the Indian High Commission in Male.

Nasheed's decision to take refuge in the Indian mission has cast a shadow on relations between India and the Maldives.

A section of the Maldivian leadership has accused India of interfering in Male's internal affairs. New Delhi has denied this.

Earlier, MDP spokesperson Hamid Abdul Ghafoor, an MP, said Maldives foreign ministry was in touch with the Indian High Commission to try get them to hand Nasheed over to police.

However, the Indian mission did not respond to the request.

Prominent Maldives daily Haveeru spoke to India's High Commissioner to Maldives D.M. Mulay regarding the visit of the special envoy.

Mulay said all stakeholders should come forward for dialogue in the spirit of goodwill.

"We need to wait and watch. Meanwhile, develop space for dialogue," Mulay told Haveeru. "We want the deadlock to be over with an amicable solution."

Nasheed took refuge at the Indian mission to avoid being arrested after he failed to appear in court last weekend.

IANS

Source: IANS

 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/8" rel="author">Luigi Lugmayr</a>
Luigi is the founding Chief Editor of I4U News and brings over 15 years experience in the technology field to the ever evolving and exciting world of gadgets. He started I4U News back in 2000 and evolved it into vibrant technology magazine.
Luigi can be contacted directly at ml@i4u.com. Luigi posts regularly on LuigiMe.com about his experience running I4U.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Iraq's top Shia cleric supports Abadi's government
Baghdad, Oct 20 (IANS) Iraq's most revered Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani Monday met Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi and expressed his support to Abadi's new government and its fighting against the extremist Islamic State (IS) militant group.
 
 
Modi gets formal invitation for Saarc summit
New Delhi/Kathmandu, Oct 20 (IANS) Foreign Minister of Nepal Mahendra Bahadur Pandey Monday extended an invitation to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to participate in the forthcoming 18th Saarc Summit to be held in Kathmandu Nov 26-27.
 
 
Phone hacking scheme used to finance Mumbai attack: NYT
New York, Oct 20 (IANS) Phone hackers in the US are bilking unsuspecting customers of billions of dollars every year through a scheme that was used to finance the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks, according to the New York Times.
 
 
29 killed in Bangladesh bus accident
Dhaka, Oct 20 (IANS) At least 29 people were killed and 20 injured Monday in a head-on collision between two passenger buses in Bangladesh.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

1,074 new dengue cases in Chinese province
Beijing, Oct 18 (IANS) China's Guangdong province has reported 1,047 new cases of dengue fever, health authorities said Saturday. Six people have already died in Guangdong -- five in Guangzhou and one in adjacent...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Blake Lively 'always' wanted to be mum
Blake Lively has ''always'' wanted to be a mother. The 27-year-old actress is expecting her first child with husband Ryan Reynolds and she admits she's been dreaming of this moment since she was a youngster. Speaking...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Kris Jenner 'torn apart' by Bruce's new relationship
Kris Jenner feels ''torn apart and angry'' that Bruce Jenner is dating her former assistant. The 58-year-old matriarch split from the 64-year-old Olympic gold medalist last October following 22-years of marriage but is...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Cheryl Fernandez-Versini won't move to France
Cheryl Fernandez-Versini doesn't want to move to her husband's home country of France. The 'X Factor' judge, 31, who comes from Newcastle, is adamant she won't be relocating any time soon to suit her new spouse Jean-...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Lance Bass sets wedding date
Lance Bass has set a date for his wedding. The former *NSYNC singer and his partner Michael Turchin, who have been dating for two-and-a-half years, are to tie the knot on December 20, 2014, a representative for the...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Nepal avalanche toll reaches 39
Kathmandu, Oct 18 (IANS) At least 39 climbers died while hiking on a key Nepali route after it was hit by a major snowstorm and avalanches earlier this week, BBC reported Saturday citing officials. Over 350 stranded...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Jake Gyllenhaal says society is complicit in 'nightcrawling'
Jake Gyllenhaal says almost everybody in society ought to relate to his new movie 'Nightcrawlers'. The eagerly-awaited film concerns those people who monitor police scanners and then race to crime scenes to film eye-...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
India eves look for first win in AFC U-16 qualifiers
Dhaka, Oct 18 (IANS) India will hope to register their first win of the 2015 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Under-16 Women's Championship qualifiers when they take on hosts Bangladesh in a crucial encounter at the...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Moyes mulling return to management
London, Oct 18 (IANS) Former Manchester United manager David Moyes said that he is ready to revive his managerial career six months after being sacked by the 'Red Devils'. "I am ready to return. I have enjoyed the...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Ebola fears loom over Ghana hosting AFCON
Accra (Ghana), Oct 18 (IANS) The Ghana Medical Association (GMA) cautioned the government Saturday against hosting the 2015 African Cup of Nations (AFCON), despite a request by the Confederation of African Football (...
Read more on Sport Balla