1 Updates

US kidnapper of 3 girls jailed for life

Aug 2 2013, 4:38am CDT | by IANS

Washington, August 2 (IANS) An American convicted of kidnapping, raping and enslaving three girls for over a decade has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Washington, August 2 — An American convicted of kidnapping, raping and enslaving three girls for over a decade has been sentenced to life in prison without parole. Ariel Castro, 53, was sentenced...

Filed under: news

YouTube Videos

 
 
 

1 year ago

US kidnapper of 3 girls jailed for life

Aug 2 2013, 4:38am CDT | by IANS

Washington, August 2 (IANS) An American convicted of kidnapping, raping and enslaving three girls for over a decade has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Washington, August 2 — An American convicted of kidnapping, raping and enslaving three girls for over a decade has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Ariel Castro, 53, was sentenced Thursday to life in prison plus 1,000 years on the charge of aggravated murder and various other charges related to kidnapping and rape, Xinhua reported.

"There is no place in this city, there is no place in this country, there is no place in this world for those who enslave others," said Judge Michael Russo.

"You don't deserve to be out in our community. You are too dangerous," added Russo.

He called Castro's behaviour "anti-social personality disorder" and the sentence "commensurate with the harm you've done".

Speaking at the hearing, Castro apologised to the three victims who were still teenagers when they were held captive about a decade ago, and asked for their forgiveness.

"I am truly sorry," said the kidnapper.

However, he insisted that he did not beat or torture the three young women.

"I am not a monster. I'm just sick. I have an addiction," said Castro.

Michelle Knight, 32, was the first of the three women to be kidnapped by Castro and the only victim who appeared in court Thursday.

"I went through 11 years of hell, and now your hell is just beginning," Knight told Castro.

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were rescued May 6 from a Cleveland house in the US state of Ohio.

Castro has pleaded guilty last week to 937 counts, including murder, rape and kidnapping.

IANS

Source: IANS

 

Don't miss ...

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Monica Lewinsky debuts on Twitter
Washington, Oct 21 (IANS/EFE) Former White House intern Monica Lewinsky, who had an affair with then president Bill Clinton in 1998, has debuted on the Twitter social network just before speaking at Forbes magazine's Under-30 Summit about harassment and bullying on the Internet.
 
 
US group to contest immunity for Modi
New York, Oct 21 (IANS) A US group that has filed a case against Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi for alleged crimes against humanity has said it would contest the Obama administration's "suggestion of immunity"
 
 
Good karma earns Satya Nadella $11.6 mn in 2014
Washington, Oct 21 (IANS) Microsoft's Indian-American CEO Satya Nadella, who stirred a controversy by his remarks that women should trust their karma for pay raises, himself earned $11.6 million in fiscal 2014, not counting $79.78 million in stock awards.
 
 
French oil giant Total CEO killed
Moscow, Oct 21 (IANS) Christophe de Margerie, the chief executive officer (CEO) of French oil giant Total, was killed in a plane accident here Tuesday, an official said.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

1,074 new dengue cases in Chinese province
Beijing, Oct 18 (IANS) China's Guangdong province has reported 1,047 new cases of dengue fever, health authorities said Saturday. Six people have already died in Guangdong -- five in Guangzhou and one in adjacent...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Blake Lively 'always' wanted to be mum
Blake Lively has ''always'' wanted to be a mother. The 27-year-old actress is expecting her first child with husband Ryan Reynolds and she admits she's been dreaming of this moment since she was a youngster. Speaking...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Kris Jenner 'torn apart' by Bruce's new relationship
Kris Jenner feels ''torn apart and angry'' that Bruce Jenner is dating her former assistant. The 58-year-old matriarch split from the 64-year-old Olympic gold medalist last October following 22-years of marriage but is...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Cheryl Fernandez-Versini won't move to France
Cheryl Fernandez-Versini doesn't want to move to her husband's home country of France. The 'X Factor' judge, 31, who comes from Newcastle, is adamant she won't be relocating any time soon to suit her new spouse Jean-...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Lance Bass sets wedding date
Lance Bass has set a date for his wedding. The former *NSYNC singer and his partner Michael Turchin, who have been dating for two-and-a-half years, are to tie the knot on December 20, 2014, a representative for the...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Nepal avalanche toll reaches 39
Kathmandu, Oct 18 (IANS) At least 39 climbers died while hiking on a key Nepali route after it was hit by a major snowstorm and avalanches earlier this week, BBC reported Saturday citing officials. Over 350 stranded...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Jake Gyllenhaal says society is complicit in 'nightcrawling'
Jake Gyllenhaal says almost everybody in society ought to relate to his new movie 'Nightcrawlers'. The eagerly-awaited film concerns those people who monitor police scanners and then race to crime scenes to film eye-...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
India eves look for first win in AFC U-16 qualifiers
Dhaka, Oct 18 (IANS) India will hope to register their first win of the 2015 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Under-16 Women's Championship qualifiers when they take on hosts Bangladesh in a crucial encounter at the...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Moyes mulling return to management
London, Oct 18 (IANS) Former Manchester United manager David Moyes said that he is ready to revive his managerial career six months after being sacked by the 'Red Devils'. "I am ready to return. I have enjoyed the...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Ebola fears loom over Ghana hosting AFCON
Accra (Ghana), Oct 18 (IANS) The Ghana Medical Association (GMA) cautioned the government Saturday against hosting the 2015 African Cup of Nations (AFCON), despite a request by the Confederation of African Football (...
Read more on Sport Balla