360° Coverage : Australian court rejects triple murderer's appeal

Australian court rejects triple murderer's appeal

Sydney, Sep 2 (IANS) An Australian court Monday upheld the conviction of a man who had murdered his former Indian origin girlfriend and two of her siblings.

Sep 2 2013, 9:48am CDT | by IANS

Australian court rejects triple murderer's appeal
Photo Credit: Doug Pensinger, Getty Images

Sydney, Sep 2 — An Australian court Monday upheld the conviction of a man who had murdered his former Indian origin girlfriend and two of her siblings.

The court of appeal in Brisbane in the Australian state of Queensland dismissed the appeal by Max Sica, 43, who was awarded 35 years in jail without any parole by a lower court in July last year for murdering his former girlfriend Neelma Singh, 24, and her siblings Kunal, 18, and Sidhi, 12, in 2003.

Judges John Muir, Robert Gotterson and Peter Applegarth upheld the earlier judgment of the lower court, according to local media.

The bodies of the three were found in the spa of their family home in Brisbane in April 2003.

Sica reportedly was not present in court during Monday's hearing.

Sica's lawyers argued that he got a manifestly excessive jail term, and therefore, the sentence should be reduced.

According to reports, the court was told that too much weight was given to the opinion of experts on foot impressions that Sica left at the murder scene.

"In light of the appellant's criminal history, his complete lack of remorse, his dubious prospects of rehabilitation, personal and general deterrence and protection of the community, the sentencing judge was entitled to specify a non-release period substantially in excess of the minimum," the Courier Mail cited the court ruling as stating.

The accused was told he was handed the toughest ever non-parole period in the history of Australia rightfully considering his criminal history and lack of remorse for committing the crime.

However, family members of Sica were not satisfied with the judgment and said they would move the country's high court.

"We lost the battle but not the war," Carlo Sica, father of the accused, was quoted as saying outside the court.

IANS

Source: IANS

 
 
 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Meet the Three Americans that Stopped a Terrorist on a French Train
Meet the Three Americans that Stopped a Terrorist on a French Train
Three American dudes on a trip to Europe take down a terrorist on a train. Beat that vacation story.
 
 
Donald Trump Uninvited from Red State
Donald Trump Uninvited from Red State
Some more bad news just came in for GOP frontrunner Donald Trump: the candidate for president is making even more enemies than he had before. Donald Trump has basically been fired from speaking at a conference by Erick...
 
 
Obama Announces Biggest Ever Plan to Tackle Climate Change
Obama Announces Biggest Ever Plan to Tackle Climate Change
President Obama’s plan to tackle climate change is a foolproof method for the future.
 
 
Osama Bin Laden's Extended Family Members Die in UK Plane Crash
Osama Bin Laden's Extended Family Members Die in UK Plane Crash
Osama Bin Laden's extended family members died. The tragedy took place at Blackbushe Airport.