Beijing, Sep 13 — A court in China’s Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region Thursday sentenced three men to death and one man to 25 years in jail for a terrorist attack that killed 24 people earlier this year, Xinhua reported.
The Intermediate People’s Court of the Turpan Prefecture, which administers Shanshan county, handed the death penalty to Ahmatniyaz Sidiq for organising, and leading a terrorist organisation responsible for 24 deaths June 26. He was also deprived of political rights for life.
The court sentenced Urayim Eli and Abdulla Esrapil to death for their participation in the terrorist organisation and homicide.
Akram Usman was sentenced to 25 years in jail and was deprived of political rights for five years for his participation in the terrorist organisation, homicide and arson, the court said.
The court found that Akram Usman, Urayim Eli and Abdulla Esrapil gathered with Eli Ahmatniyaz and others frequently at Lukqun township to engage in illegal religious activities.
They advocated and spread religious extremism, watched violence-inciting videos from foreign terrorist organisations, and read books on religious extremism to conspire terrorist activities, the court said.
Eli Ahmatniyaz gathered with Akram Usman and four others at Lukqun Township on June 19 and plotted attacks against the local police station, government and a market.
Akram Usman and his accomplice raised about $1,750 and bought gasoline and 47 knives from June 20-25, according to the court.
A gang of 13 people including Ahmatniyaz Sidiq, Urayim Eli, Abdulla Esrapil and Eli Ahmatniyaz, carried out the violent attack June 26.
Police investigation showed that the multiple attacks in Shanshan were premeditated and organised.
The attacks killed 24 people, including two police officers, and injured 23 others.