2 Updates
Six more terrorists killed in Nairobi mall
Photo Credit: , Getty Images

Six more terrorists killed in Nairobi mall

Sep 24 2013, 3:17am CDT | by IANS

Nairobi, Sep 24 (IANS) Kenyan security forces killed six of the remaining attackers at a mall in Nairobi that has been under siege since Saturday, Xinhua reported citing the country's Citizen TV Tuesday as fresh gunfire erupted.

Nairobi, Sep 24 — Kenyan security forces killed six of the remaining attackers at a mall in Nairobi that has been under siege since Saturday, Xinhua reported citing the country's Citizen TV Tuesday...

Filed under: news

YouTube Videos

 
 
 

1 year ago

Six more terrorists killed in Nairobi mall

Sep 24 2013, 3:17am CDT | by IANS

Nairobi, Sep 24 (IANS) Kenyan security forces killed six of the remaining attackers at a mall in Nairobi that has been under siege since Saturday, Xinhua reported citing the country's Citizen TV Tuesday as fresh gunfire erupted.

Nairobi, Sep 24 — Kenyan security forces killed six of the remaining attackers at a mall in Nairobi that has been under siege since Saturday, Xinhua reported citing the country's Citizen TV Tuesday as fresh gunfire erupted.

"Security forces killed six of the remaining attackers," Citizen TV said without giving details or the source.

The Kenya Defence Forces said Monday that three terrorists were killed and a few were injured.

The government said earlier that there were 10 to 15 gunmen fighting inside the upscale Westgate shopping mall where 62 people were killed and 175 were injured, the deadliest attack since the bombing of the US embassy in Nairobi in 1998 that killed more than 200 people.

Somali militant group Al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility for the Nairobi attack, saying it was part of retaliation for the cross-border incursion by Kenyan soldiers in October 2011.

Fresh gunshots where heard around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to people working near the mall and a police officer involved in the operation. When gunfire erupted around 6:20 a.m. at the shopping mall, Xinhua reporters counted about 30 shots.

The fresh fight between Kenyan security forces and gunmen broke the silence that persisted for hours over the night, sparking speculation that the siege of the mall might have ended.

"Our security forces were still combing the huge Westgate shopping centre floor-by-floor to ensure that there were no grenades or any other explosive materials left behind by the terrorists," a senior police officer, who was involved in the operation, told Xinhua over telephone after the gunfight.

The officer, who insisted on anonymity, said there were still gunmen inside the mall and there was exchange of fire between them and security forces.

The special security forces will continue to secure the Westgate mall building for some time to ensure that all bodies were pulled out, the officer told Xinhua earlier Tuesday.

"The building may still be inaccessible to the public and media for a while since there are some bodies yet to be pulled out of the building," the officer said.

"We also want to be sure that there are no dangerous devices left behind by the six terrorists who were killed during the rescue operation," he added.

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta is due to address the nation Tuesday.

Among the dead in the mall attack were visitors from Canada, France, Britain, South Africa, China, India, the Netherlands and the US.

In New Delhi, officials named two of the Indians killed as Sridhar Natarajan, 40, from Tamil Nadu who was an employee of a local pharmaceutical firm Harley's Limited; and Paramshu Jain, eight, the son of Manoj Jain, the branch manager of Industrial Area Branch, Bank of Baroda (Kenya Limited).

Meanwhile, Kenya has beefed up security along its borders with Ethiopia and Somalia to prevent insurgents from entering the country.

Joseph Ole Lenku, Kenya's cabinet secretary in charge of internal security, said Monday that the security apparatus in the country has been ordered to ensure that no one gets in or out of the country.

All major hotels, restaurants, bars and public service vehicle operators across the country have been directed to review and enhance security arrangements, which include screening visitors.

The Kenyan government said Monday that it was holding "some individuals" for questioning at Kenya's major airport.

Interior Ministry principal secretary Mutue Iringo said the individuals whose identities were not disclosed were arrested at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport en route to Turkey.

"We ask all officers dealing with vital identification documents to be very careful," Iringo said after the arrests.

--Indo-Asian News Seervice

ab/vt

IANS

Source: IANS

 
Update
2

3 weeks ago

South Sudan famine temporarily averted, but risks remain: U.N.

Oct 31 2014 12:10pm CDT | Source: Townhall's

By Drazen Jorgic NAIROBI (Reuters) - Aid and some small harvests have helped stave off a feared famine in ...
Source: Townhall's   Full article at: Townhall's
 

 

Don't miss ...

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Ashton Carter expected to succeed Chuck Hagel
Washington, Nov 26 (IANS/EFE) Former Pentagon No.2 Ashton Carter has emerged as the frontrunner to replace Chuck Hagel as the US defense secretary and take charge of the military campaign against the Islamic State (IS) radical group.
 
 
Bangladesh pushes for working South Asian free trade deal
Kathmandu, Nov 26 (IANS) Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Wednesday called for implementing the free trade agreement (FTA) that the Saarc nations signed nearly a decade ago.
 
 
26 killed in China coal mine fire
Beijing, Nov. 26 (Xinhua) A coal mine fire killed 26 workers and injured 50 others in northeast China's Liaoning province early Wednesday.
 
 
86 protesters arrested in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, Nov 26 (IANS/EFE) At least 86 people were arrested and over a dozen injured in Hong Kong Wednesday in clashes between the police and pro-democracy protesters during the clearing of a protest site in Mong Kok district.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

86 protesters arrested in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, Nov 26 (IANS/EFE) At least 86 people were arrested and over a dozen injured in Hong Kong Wednesday in clashes between the police and pro-democracy protesters during the clearing of a protest site in Mong Kok...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Mexico plans policy changes to stem violence, graft
Mexico City, Nov 26 (IANS/EFE) The Mexican government plans to rework its internal security policy to check the violence and corruption that prevails after 43 students in police custody went missing, outraging the...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
NASA floats airship challenge idea
Washington, Nov 26 (IANS) The US space agency NASA is planning to kickstart a challenge for developing airships that can break records in terms of duration of flight at high altitudes. The idea behind the "20-20-20...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Benedict Cumberbatch disappointed to miss McGrath
Benedict Cumberbatch says it was a ''tragedy'' to not record 'Penguins of Madagascar' with Tom McGrath. The 38-year-old actor couldn't work opposite his co-star Tom due to their conflicting schedules, which forced them...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
Ridley Scott won't direct Blade Runner sequel
Ridley Scott won't be directing the 'Blade Runner' sequel. The 76-year-old director - who helmed the original sci-fi thriller in 1982 - has confessed he will not be returning to the director's chair for the follow up...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
OPEC daily basket price closes lower
Vienna, Nov 26 (IANS/WAM) The basket of 12 crude oils of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) closed over a dollar lower at $74.28 a barrel Tuesday compared to $75.70 Monday, the OPEC Secretariat...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Two JMB activists awarded death sentence in Bangladesh
Dhaka, Nov 26 (IANS) A court in Dhaka sentenced two activists of the militant Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) to death Wednesday, for shooting dead a police informant during a search operation nearly eight years...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Tough competition in 2015 Copa America: Uruguay FA president
Montevideo, Nov 26 (IANS) The 2015 Copa America championship, to be held in Chile next summer, is gearing up to be a tough tournament to win, Uruguay's top football official has said. According to the president of the...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Bayern dominated despite being down to 10: Guardiola
Manchester, Nov 26 (IANS) Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola said that his team dominated the game despite being down to 10 in the Champions League match against England's Manchester City. "Even though we lost, I am...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
We made mistakes: Bayern's Dante
Manchester, Nov 26 (IANS) Bayern Munich defender Dante believes that Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero is a great player but Bayern should blame the Champions League loss on themselves. Bayern lost 2-3 to...
Read more on Sport Balla