360° Coverage : OPCW seeks short-term ceasefires in Syria (Roundup)

2 Updates
OPCW seeks short-term ceasefires in Syria (Roundup)
Photo Credit: , Getty Images

OPCW seeks short-term ceasefires in Syria (Roundup)

Oct 15 2013, 10:24am CDT | by IANS

London/Moscow/Ivrea, Oct 15 (IANS) Chemical arms inspectors in Syria have sought short-term cease-fires in rebel-held areas so that they can complete their work even as Russia said Tuesday that some of the opposition forces in the strife-torn country are refusing to participate in peace-talks that are being convened.

London/Moscow/Ivrea, Oct 15 — Chemical arms inspectors in Syria have sought short-term cease-fires in rebel-held areas so that they can complete their work even as Russia said Tuesday that some of...

Filed under: news

YouTube Videos

 
 
 

1 year ago

OPCW seeks short-term ceasefires in Syria (Roundup)

Oct 15 2013, 10:24am CDT | by IANS

London/Moscow/Ivrea, Oct 15 (IANS) Chemical arms inspectors in Syria have sought short-term cease-fires in rebel-held areas so that they can complete their work even as Russia said Tuesday that some of the opposition forces in the strife-torn country are refusing to participate in peace-talks that are being convened.

London/Moscow/Ivrea, Oct 15 — Chemical arms inspectors in Syria have sought short-term cease-fires in rebel-held areas so that they can complete their work even as Russia said Tuesday that some of the opposition forces in the strife-torn country are refusing to participate in peace-talks that are being convened.

Fighting is preventing access to chemical sites in some rebel-held areas in Syria and short-term cease-fires can help UN-appointed chemical arms inspectors to work, according to Ahmet Uzumcu, director-general of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).

"Chemical experts had already reached five out of at least 20 facilities capable of producing chemical weapons," Uzumcu told the BBC in an interview Monday.

However, routes to some of the sites went through opposition-held territory and this prevented access, he said.

He added that one abandoned site is located in a rebel-held area, and that his team is hoping to access it. Uzumcu called for local, short-term ceasefires to allow experts to work.

Syrian officials have been cooperating and facilitating the experts' work, he added.

According to a UN resolution, Syria's chemical weapons production equipment must be destroyed by Nov 1 and stockpiles must be disposed of by mid-2014.

The OPCW was established in 1997 to monitor and destroy chemical weapons across the world.

Meanwhile, in Moscow, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov told reporters Tuesday that Preparations for an international peace conference on Syria were under way, but some opposition groups in Syria were still refusing to participate.

He recalled that the UN Security Council's resolution stated that the conference could be convened in mid-November, Russian news agency ITAR-TASS reported.

"All of us are now working in this direction," Gatilov said.

"The UN Secretary-General's envoy will soon start a tour of countries in the region to meet representatives of the opposition. He will have talks in Damascus, too," he said, adding that the talks would focus on an international peace conference.

The diplomat drew attention to the fact that the Syrian authorities expressed their readiness to take part in the conference long ago.

"Regrettably, some opposition groups announced their refusal to participate in the conference," he said.

In another development, 50 Syrian migrants were detained early Tuesday aboard a bus near the northern Italian city of Turin, and were believed to have been heading for the French or Swiss border.

Police detained the migrants in the early hours of Tuesday outside Ivrea, about 40 km north of Turin.

All the Syrians have claimed political asylum and were in the process of being identified by police.

Migrants are entitled to request asylum in the country in which they are identified, although many prefer to reach northern Europe.

IANS

Source: IANS

 
Update
2

7 weeks ago

Finland most vulnerable to Russian gas cut-off

Sep 3 2014 2:29am CDT | Source: EUobserver.com

Finland would experience gas shortages if Russia cuts off exports for one month, while other EU countries would last between three to nine months without Russian gas, according to a G ...
Source: EUobserver.com   Full article at: EUobserver.com
 

 

Don't miss ...

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Over 550 killed in US-led airstrikes in Syria
Damascus, Oct 23 (IANS/EFE) At least 553 people have died over the past month in airstikes launched by the US-led international coalition against the Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, a rights group reported Thursday.
 
 
Canada not immune to terror attacks: PM Harper
Toronto, Oct 23 (IANS) No Canadian would believe that their country is under attack and that the attack comes from within, from homegrown extremists.
 
 
Sri Lanka expresses concern over Canada shooting
Colombo, Oct 23 (IANS) In the wake of a terror attack inside Canada's parliament, Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa Thursday expressed concern over the escalating terrorism in the world.
 
 
Two people die in Pakistan bomb blast
Islamabad, Oct 23 (IANS) At least two people were killed and 12 others injured in an explosion that took place in Pakistan's Balochistan province Thursday, media reported.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Second MERS case reported in Qatar
Doha, Oct 23 (IANS) A 43-year-old man in Qatar has tested positive for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in the second confirmed case of the deadly virus in 10 days, media reported Thursday. The patient had...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Two people die in Pakistan bomb blast
Islamabad, Oct 23 (IANS) At least two people were killed and 12 others injured in an explosion that took place in Pakistan's Balochistan province Thursday, media reported. The bomb was planted on a motorcycle, Dawn...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Trott extends contract with Warwickshire till 2017
London, Oct 23 (IANS) England batsman Jonathan Trott, whose mental issues led to his abrupt departure from last winter's Ashes tour, has confirmed his successful comeback to competitive cricket by signing a new three-...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Srikanth, Kashyap big movers in BWF rankings
Kuala Lumpur, Oct 23 (IANS) Indian men shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and Parupalli Kashyap jumped seven places each in the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings released Thursday while Olympic bronze medallist...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Alvin Stardust dead
London, Oct 23 (IANS) English singer Alvin Stardust died after a short illness. He was 72. Stardust's manager confirmed the news about his demise Thursday, reports mirror.co.uk. He was recently diagnosed with...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Indian man reunited with family after 40 years
Dubai, Oct 23 (IANS) An Indian man, who had disappeared from his hometown in Kerala nearly 40 years ago, has been found by his family at a hospital in Dubai in the UAE, a newspaper report said. Now in his 60s, Abdulla...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Srikanth, Kashyap, Saina rise in world rankings
Kala Lumpur, Oct 23 (IANS) Indian men shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and Parupalli Kashyap jumped seven places each in the latest released Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings Thursday while Olympic bronze medallist...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Flintoff signs for Big Bash side Brisbane Heat
Brisbane, Oct 23 (IANS) Former England captain and all-rounder Andrew Flintoff, who retired from international cricket in 2009, Wednesday confirmed that he will play for Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash League (BBL) this...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
OPEC daily basket price falls again
Vienna, Oct 23 (IANS/WAM) The basket of 12 crude oils of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) closed at $81.94 a barrel Wednesday compared to $82.09 Tuesday, the OPEC Secretariat said. The new OPEC...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Lopez to sign multi-million dollar deal?
Los Angeles, Oct 23 (IANS) Singer-actress Jennifer Lopez is reportedly in the final stages of securing a multi-million dollar deal to perform in Las Vegas. The 45-year-old is being offered $350,000 per show at The...
Read more on Celebrity Balla