360° Coverage : Talks on for war criminal's burial in Germany

Talks on for war criminal's burial in Germany

Rome, Oct 17 (IANS/AKI) As Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke's body remained at a military airport outside the Italian capital Thursday, his lawyer told AKI he was in talks with German diplomats over burial in his homeland.

Oct 17 2013, 7:06am CDT | by IANS

Talks on for war criminal's burial in Germany
Photo Credit: , Getty Images

Rome, Oct 17 (IANS/AKI) As Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke's body remained at a military airport outside the Italian capital Thursday, his lawyer told AKI he was in talks with German diplomats over burial in his homeland.

"Priebke's family asked me to make contact with the German embassy to see if his body could be transferred to Germany for burial," said lawyer Paolo Giachini.

"The consul has told me that Priebke has every right to be buried in his home country but there are some administrative issues that need to be overcome."

An unnamed source at the German embassy in Rome confirmed to AKI that diplomats were negotiating with Giachini over the burial.

Since his death in Rome last week under house arrest at the age of 100, Priebke has been at the centre of a controversy.

The Vatican banned a funeral in any church in Rome and the city's mayor refused to allow him to be buried there amid fears his grave would become a neo-Nazi shrine.

Argentina, where he lived for nearly 50 years after the war and authorities in Priebke's hometown of Henningdorf, northwest of Berlin, were unwilling to bury him.

His funeral in a town outside Rome organised by priests from an ultra-traditionalist Catholic splinter group was halted after street riots.

Giachini told AKI that an unnamed individual had contacted him via his lawyer to say he would like to bury Priebke in a cemetery in Italy.

"We (are) trying to gather if the local authorities will agree to this," Giachini said.

A Nazi SS captain, Priebke was in 1998 convicted by a military court in Rome over the 1944 killings of 335 men and boys including 75 Jews in Italy's worst World War II atrocity.

The Ardeatine Caves massacre March 24, 1944, was thought to have been ordered by Nazi leader Adolf Hitler in revenge for the killing by Italian resistance fighters of 33 German soldiers in a bomb attack in Rome a day earlier.

--IANS/AKI

ab/bg

IANS

Source: IANS

 
 
 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

School headmaster shot dead in Pakistan
Islamabad, Dec 4 (IANS) Unidentified gunmen Thursday killed the headmaster of a private school in Pakistan's Balochistan province.
 
 
Four more bodies recovered from sunken South Korean ship
Seoul, Dec 4 (IANS) Four more bodies were recovered Thursday from a sunken South Korean fishing ship in the Bering Sea, the foreign ministry here said.
 
 
Lesbian couple asked to desist in London restaurant
London, Dec 4 (IANS) A lesbian couple in a London restaurant was asked to desist by a staff member, who asked them to "stop what you are doing".
 
 
Oxford Dictionaries to add 1,000 new words
London, Dec 4 (IANS) 'Mamil' (middle-aged man in Lycra), 'silvertail' (a person who is socially prominent or who displays social aspirations) and 'crony capitalism' are among the 1,000 new words to be added to OxfordDictionaries.com, the free online dictionary, in its largest quarterly update so far.