1 Updates
Nazi war criminal to be buried in secret
Photo Credit: , Getty Images

Nazi war criminal to be buried in secret

Oct 21 2013, 9:46am CDT | by IANS

Rome, Oct 21 (IANS/AKI) Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke will be interred in a secret location in Italy, his lawyer said.

Rome, Oct 21 (IANS/AKI) Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke will be interred in a secret location in Italy, his lawyer said. "A solution has been found together with authorities," Priebke's lawyer,...

Filed under: news

YouTube Videos

 
 
 

43 weeks ago

Nazi war criminal to be buried in secret

Oct 21 2013, 9:46am CDT | by IANS

Rome, Oct 21 (IANS/AKI) Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke will be interred in a secret location in Italy, his lawyer said.

Rome, Oct 21 (IANS/AKI) Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke will be interred in a secret location in Italy, his lawyer said.

"A solution has been found together with authorities," Priebke's lawyer, Paolo Giachini, told AKI.

"The good news is that we are satisfied because we have obtained respect for his mortal remains and the feelings of his relations and friends," he added.

Asked whether the burial would take place in Italy, Giachini replied: "Yes".

He believed the grave would become a "place of pilgrimage" for Priebke's admirers, according to some reports.

Since his death in Rome 10 days ago under house arrest in Rome aged 100, Priebke has been at the centre of an international furore.

The Vatican issued an unprecedented ban on his funeral in any church in Rome while the mayor of the capital refused to allow his burial in the city.

A funeral rite organised by renegade ultra-traditionalist priests in the town of Albano Laziale outside Rome was halted last week amid street riots.

Authorities in his hometown of Henningsdorf in Germany initially refused to allow him to be interred there and Argentina, where he lived for nearly 50 years after the war, refused to take his body.

Italian and German authorities fear that any public grave would become a shrine for neo-Nazis but Giachini's comments suggested the burial plot would not remain secret for long.

In a chilling video, released by Giachini after Priebke's death, the former SS officer admitted the World War II Ardeatine Caves massacre in Rome had been "dreadful" for him and his fellow executioners, but blamed the bloodbath on Italian resistance fighters.

In the massacre, Nazi soldiers killed 335 Italian men and boys including 75 Jews March 24, 1944, in reprisal for the killings of 33 German soldiers by Italian partisans a day earlier.

He was convicted over the killings - Italy's worst wartime atrocity - by a military court in Rome in 1998 and sentenced to house arrest in Rome.

Priebke, a practising Catholic, never repented the Ardeatine Caves atrocity and denied the Nazis had gassed Jews during World War II.

Relatives of his victims and Jewish groups, who resented his presence in the city, where he was allowed out to run errands and go to church, said his body should be cremated.

The dispute overshadowed a major Holocaust memorial ceremony last Wednesday in Rome that commemorated the 1943 deportation to Auschwitz of over a thousand members of its Jewish community by the Nazis in 1943.

IANS

Source: IANS

 

Don't miss ...

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Indian, Asian businesses hit hard by unrest in US town
Washington, Aug 22 (IANS) Even as a semblance of order was restored in a small city in Missouri after nearly two weeks of unrest, Indian and other Asian-American-owned businesses were reported to be in a mess after days of looting.
 
 
Violence against Iraqis worst seen this century: UN
United Nations, Aug 22 (IANS) The violence against children, women and minority communities in Iraq in the past few weeks is one of the worst seen in this century, a UN spokesperson said Thursday, citing information from the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
 
 
Islamic terrorists must be defeated: US army official
Washington, Aug 22 (IANS) It is possible to contain the Islamic State (IS) forces, but not in perpetuity, a senior US army official said Thursday.
 
 
469 children killed in Gaza: UNICEF
United Nations, Aug 22 (IANS) A senior official of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said here Thursday that a total of 469 children were killed in the Gaza Strip, where the situation is "dire" because of its debilitating effect on the one million Gaza Strip inhabitants under the age of 18.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Indian, Asian businesses hit hard by unrest in US town
Washington, Aug 22 (IANS) Even as a semblance of order was restored in a small city in Missouri after nearly two weeks of unrest, Indian and other Asian-American-owned businesses were reported to be in a mess after...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Violence against Iraqis worst seen this century: UN
United Nations, Aug 22 (IANS) The violence against children, women and minority communities in Iraq in the past few weeks is one of the worst seen in this century, a UN spokesperson said Thursday, citing information...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Robin Williams to be honoured at Emmys
Los Angeles, Aug 22 (IANS) Actor-filmmaker Billy Crystal will pay a tribute to late actor Robin Williams at the forthcoming Emmy Awards event. The 66-year-old comedian will lead tributes to Williams, who was found...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Islamic terrorists must be defeated: US army official
Washington, Aug 22 (IANS) It is possible to contain the Islamic State (IS) forces, but not in perpetuity, a senior US army official said Thursday. Martin Dempsey, chairman of US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said during a...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Jessica Alba's 'super' imagination
Los Angeles, Aug 22 (IANS) The "Fantastic Four" star Jessica Alba used to imagine she was "super-human". As a child, the actress used to spend hours dreaming of having special powers that would take her ahead of her...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Uganda to face Niger ahead of Afcon qualifier
Kampala, Aug 22 (IANS) Head coach of Uganda Cranes Milutin 'Micho' Sredojevic said Thursday that his team will play away to Niger in an international friendly Sep 2 ahead of a 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon)...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Serena Williams to face Townsend in US Open
Washington, Aug 22 (IANS) Defending champion Serena Williams will face compatriot Taylor Townsend in the first round of the women's singles of the US Open after the draw was concluded here Thursday. Williams, who is...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
469 children killed in Gaza: UNICEF
United Nations, Aug 22 (IANS) A senior official of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said here Thursday that a total of 469 children were killed in the Gaza Strip, where the situation is "dire" because of its...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Demi Lovato spends birthday at Disneyland
Demi Lovato celebrated her birthday at Disneyland. The 'Heart Attack' hitmaker sported a Darth Vader Mickey Ears helmet and a matching T-shirt as she paid a visit to the adventure park in Anaheim, California, on...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Nick Cannon confirms Mariah Carey split
Nick Cannon has confirmed he and Mariah Carey have been living apart ''for a few months.'' The 'America's Got Talent' host has admitted his six-year marriage with the 44-year-old singer has been on the rocks for a while...
Read more on Celebrity Balla