Hong Kong, Nov 8 — A fifth suspect in connection with the alleged kidnapping of three Indian businessmen last month in Hong Kong appeared in a court.
Hussain Ghazan, 20, accused of renting a house at Tuen Mun in the city to detain Indian businessman Manmohan Singh Mangat, his banker Satwinder Singh and lawyer Gurinder Singh Gill Oct 25, appeared in the Fanling Court here Thursday, the South China Morning Post reported Friday.
Karmjit Singh, an accused in the case, was last week freed on bail on condition that he reported to Tin Shui Wai police station three times a week.
Principal Magistrate Bernadette Woo Huey Fang refused bail to the four other accused.
“It is a sophisticated crime with premeditation and international elements,” Fang was quoted as saying.
Prosecutor Diana Cheung told the court that inquiries revealed Ghazan rented the house from August to October this year and applied for rent from the International Social Service and rented a different place from Nov 1.
“It was reported that this defendant was involved in this crime, and that’s why he changed his residency shortly after the demand for ransom took place at the end of October,” she said.
A man had approached Mangat in India last month and told him a businessman in Hong Kong was interested in buying land he owned.
After that, the three men had arrived here from India on a business trip.
An unidentified person met the three men at the airport and drove them to a house in Sha Tau Kok, where they were held captive for three days.
The man who contacted Mangat in India was later arrested and he then provided Karmjit’s contact information to the police.
The three kidnapped men were set free Oct 28 after their belongings, including watches and mobile phones, were snatched away.
The kidnappers also demanded a ransom of HK$2.5 million from their families in India.
Meanwhile, Hong Kong police have arrested a 24-year-old seventh suspect.